Author Topic: Another Epic Day Paddy Hopping the Box Canyon, Dec 6, 2014  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Another Epic Day Paddy Hopping the Box Canyon, Dec 6, 2014
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
Hey All!
Fueled up and baited, I set out of DP landing hoping to find the big yellows again. The forecast was 2 to 3 foot south/west swells with mild off shore winds, no rain. The water was cool out of DP harbor but warmer south at San Onofre,CA, 67. There were a hand full of PBer and 2 CB working the grounds but no bent rods. Paddies everywhere this time, hallelujah! I worked a nice paddy with bait & big marks underneath making several passes fly-lining sardines. “The lights are on, and somebody’s home”, but the yellows are lock jawed. In times like this, mixing it up is key….so I started throwing my irons. I hooked a nice yellow, but 10 minutes in, I farmed em...DRAT!

I hooked another and landed this nice 25 lb yellow...good thing because I was getting spent after my 20th cast. It was a miracle I even landed this Lunker since the hook set was outside of its mouth on its lower lip. Drag setting is key.  The bonies were here too…big ones! Big bonitas fight like football Ahis…I caught this 12 lber on the iron. I was also able to nail 4 reds all on bait and all released. I caught this lunker yellowtail and bonita on 40 lb p-line, with my Trini 30, on my Calstar 20-40lb Grafighter. It’s time to get my reels serviced again, I'm happy to say.

The bite’s still ON! See you on the water ;) Ben

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:16:43 PM by Opah147 »

Offline Lamin_Babcock

• "I'm here... and I brought the big ski"
    • View Profile
Re: Another Epic Day Paddy Hopping the Box Canyon, Dec 6, 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
See this is why I always take my speargun. If they won't bite hook and line then I force feed 'em the steel!

Another nice trip! Hopefully my ski will be back up and running before the new year and I will be able to join you!
Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
See this is why I always take my speargun. If they won't bite hook and line then I force feed 'em the steel!

Another nice trip! Hopefully my ski will be back up and running before the new year and I will be able to join you!
That would be awesome to see! I talk with spearfishermen all the time at DP landing. Last week,  one guy saw a 40 lb yellow off of San Onofre...closer to shore at 45 ft in the kelp beds.This same guy speared a behemoth 70 lb WSB earlier this year in that area....the kind you catch at Socorro down at San Quintin, Mx.

Get your ski ready, Lamin!

Ben

Offline Pescador

• un poco de esto y un poco de eso y otras cosas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
Reminds me of that time we went on that long range trip to Cedros Island in Mexico on the Big Game 90.  Patty hopping was so much fun with all those Yellow tails we caught.  Bam Bam Bam Big fish after big fish. That boat only moved at about 10-12 mph max, and on a ski you can move 4 times that fast on a jet ski, so you are checking out 4 times as many patties  but having 10 times the fun. Nice

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 06:12:17 PM »
Oh yeah...One of the best boat trips ever....we caught every tuna species and more...hundreds of pounds of fillets.

But there's nothing like catching big game on your own vessel/jetski.  It's a blast just being on a jetski, but couple that with nailing big fish, every time is an epic adventure.