Author Topic: rockfishes!  (Read 463 times)

Offline PNWskifishing

• View Profile
    • PNW Jet Ski Fishing
rockfishes!
« on: April 03, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »
got a small weather window over the weekend to get out after rockfish.  not my usual port, but one of the only on the coast without a bar restriction in place, so gave Depoe Bay a shot.  6-7 foot swell, with little wind or wind waves.  ended the day with 2 lingcod and a seabass, with several shakers thrown back.  was good to be back out on the water again after the winter break.  was having trouble locating suspended fish to pull in more seabass from, but kept fairly steady action on lings off the bottom to make up for it.  even got a close up view on a whale surfacing 50 yards or so away from me which is always fun.
2015 Kawasaki Ultra LX
https://www.pnwjetskifishing.com

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Re: rockfishes!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:46:40 AM »
Nice lings!

How deep are they and what did you catch em on?

Great eats! I prefer a ling or sheepie over  a tuna dinner anytime :) :) :)

I'll be out asap as soon as the counts pick up down here soon.....been itch'n to get out too.

Thanks for the post.

Ben

Offline PNWskifishing

• View Profile
    • PNW Jet Ski Fishing
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 02:23:48 PM »
this jig put some work in.  used it all morning, and it pulled up 5 lings and a cabazon.  mostly around the 40 foot mark.
2015 Kawasaki Ultra LX

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:11:09 AM »
Looks like that jig's been worked alot....What about tagging it with some squid. You guys up there ever make live bait?

Down in baja south of Encenada around San Quintin, we use rock cod rigs tagged with squid or live bait to get the big lings and red rock cod. Big diamond jigs are effective too.

Offline PNWskifishing

• View Profile
    • PNW Jet Ski Fishing
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 06:31:11 AM »
Looks like that jig's been worked alot....What about tagging it with some squid. You guys up there ever make live bait?

Down in baja south of Encenada around San Quintin, we use rock cod rigs tagged with squid or live bait to get the big lings and red rock cod. Big diamond jigs are effective too.

not much in the way of live bait available around here, and until Tuna season, no one really uses it.  I will put scent gel on while bottom fishing, pro-cure bloody tuna or krill seem to do well.
2015 Kawasaki Ultra LX