Author Topic: Paddy Hopping and Dolphin Run 5-28-2016  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Paddy Hopping and Dolphin Run 5-28-2016
« on: June 03, 2016, 01:36:55 PM »
Hi All!
Red flag conditions and dismal fish counts made me a land lover....for months! With the winds somewhat subdued, I decided to launch out of DP over the long week. Not much activity at the landing this morning...heck, didn't even wait for bait. Big sardine this time from the receiver. The plan was to hit paddies & dolphin pods toward the 209 then work the 14 mile bank. Overnight boats have been scratching the yellowtails around Catalina.

Overcast drizzly skies, 5 mph on-shore head winds with big eastward swells made the trip out a bit dicey (took a couple of drinks from a few bigger rollers). Water temp jumped from 64 to 65.1 at the 209 FB. Lots of birds and dolphin in the area. With rapalas in the water, I marked some “nice sonar arcs” at 200 ft, praying they would rise, but nada….zip! I fly line drifted a few paddies all with tons of bait underneath, but that was all. Same at the 14 mile bank.

It was nice to be back on the ski after such a long hiatus. But a big tail or 2 in the cooler would have been nicer. ;) ;) ;)

Here’s a dolphin run.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:10:00 AM by Opah147 »