Author Topic: Flying Dorados, Paddy Yellow fin Tunas & Big Hammerhead at the 267 Bank 8-08-15  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Hi All!
Big game continues to sizzle! No parking at Dana Point Landing this morning according to Steve, the landing attendant. There’s an outrigger canoeing function with at least 300 athletes/enthusiasts. I took my chances and was able to squeeze in my truck & trailer in a tight parking spot & launch.

Big sluggish sardines from the receiver this time. Weather and water conditions were adequate; overcast skies, 2 foot swells rolling from the west, and seas at room temp. The plan was to work the inside for the do dos and yellows then bolt outside for the tuna. On the way out, I tailed a school of dolphins searching for boils before my first set of paddies. A turquoise flash caught my attention & my sonar confirmed it….Do Dos are under this one! Only a hand full of sardines made the trip so I had to make every one count. With bait & chunk chum in the water…Bang! Fish on! I never get sick of seeing flying dorados. I was able to get some awesome underwater footage of her & a bull circling before the gaff. I quickly threw in another bait hooking the bull immediately...but “farmed em”, not letting him eat by setting the bail on a hard 2 count instead of 3. Drat! It was time to bolt to the outside, the 267 FB.

Fourteen miles out, there were intermittent boaters with bent rods but I pushed on to avoid the boat cluster. A far, I spotted a nice lonely paddy with my name all over it. I tossed my sport clipped do do catch over the side to preserve and a curious dorado came over to my ski….great sign! Lines in and chum in the water, my bait gets spooked and dives deep… Bendo! Hooked up and drag plates smoke’n! 15 minutes later, a nice 28 lb yellowfin tuna on the ski, “over the rail and into the foot well!”. A big 10 foot hammerhead wanted my tuna and circled me for a while….very cool! A fun way to end the day.

I would have stayed out longer but all my bait rolled by 11. Both fish were caught on 30 lb p-line, trin 20, and my Calstar scs 12-30 lb stick.  I’m hesitant to drop down to 20 lb line because I keep hearing 60-70 lbers are still crashing. The dorado weighed 17.5 lbs and the yellowfin 27 & change on the digital scale.
Thanks for coming along and see you on the water ;D Ben

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:00:56 AM by Opah147 »

nonprophet

Nice trip Opah!  Awesome pics too!  I gotta get a stick for my gopro lol.

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks, Prophet...definitely get a selfy stick. You and your buddy had a great trip too I saw. Congrats on your tunas. Do you ever launch out of DP? Let's hook up sometime for sure.

Offline 7seasand7

• View Profile
Nice catch and great report.
Cheers!

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks, Val.
Did you get your tuna last week end? I hope you did....let's meet up soon for sure! :)

Offline Lamin_Babcock

• "I'm here... and I brought the big ski"
    • View Profile
Nice job!
Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks, Lamin! Where have you been? Hope you got your ski ready...the bite's hot. Let's plan a trip soon...come on! The bluefins are back...they're smaller but they're back. Nailed a 17 lber today. I'll be posting tomorrow or the following.

Question: Would you free dive if you knew the above 10 foot + hammerhead was on the same paddy as you? A free-diver did after I warned him....but he got out pretty quick. Btw, this hammerhead was pretty "archy". Just wondering.

Good to hear from you, Pal. Ben
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:30:45 PM by Opah147 »

Offline Lamin_Babcock

• "I'm here... and I brought the big ski"
    • View Profile
Ski is up and running. I've already gone out and had a close call with a 250# Marlin a big boat put me on. (I'm writing it up now)

It would depend on how much life was on the paddy. I've been in the water with them before and have never seen any aggression other than when you have fish on you. Most of the time they ignore you just like the others. When they get "archy" I think that means they are looking to feed, if there was lots of life on the paddy I wouldn't worry. BUT if I was the only life on the paddy I would be getting the F out quick. Makos are more sketchy IMO.
Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing.
-Henry David Thoreau