Author Topic: Wide Open Blue Fin Bite 7 Miles Off Clemente, CA - 7-15-15  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Hey All!

The blue fin tuna (BFT) have been around but the counts haven't exploded. Even on a boil, the elusive blue fins have been frustratingly locked jaw.

The plan was to launch mid week to avoid the weekend swarm but Dana Point landing was buzzing even on a Wednesday. The word's out..."the Blue and Yellow fin are really close...I mean 10 miles close". Morning conditions were ideal with 1-2 foot swells coming from NNW, & water temp 73. VHF chatter was frequent with troll strike so in with the cedar plug. Not many birds or dolphin crossed my path to my one and only stop...a tiny lone paddy. I soaked a big squirrely sardine for awhile then....BANG!!! FRESH ONE!!! Took me a little while to land this nice 35 lber.  Then another pass, BANG!!!FISH ON #2!!!! Another 35 lber. Then BENDO!!!FAT TUNA #3!!! A drag ripping 41 lber. Then...you guessed it BANG!!!BENDO #4!!! An arm burning 37 lber. I was kinda hoping not to hook up any more as my ski was overloaded and taking on a little bit more water than I like, but on a dead sardine BANG!!!! BFT #5...but threw the hook.

Four nice blue fins on the ski before 10 AM & it was time to head back to the jetwash...it was nice meeting you at the landing, Larry (member)!

It was a glorious day, my friends....simply glorious :) Ben

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:32:08 AM by Opah147 »

Offline Lineman47

• View Profile
Re: Wide Open Blue Fin Bite 7 Miles Off Shore - 7-15-15
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:33:40 AM »
Nice hall Ben

Offline Lamin_Babcock

• "I'm here... and I brought the big ski"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:34:30 AM »
Nice job! I can't wait to run with you!
Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
Thanks, Gents...just lucky I guess.

There's high prospects for all of us this year...just need to get out often. Good luck & see you guys on the water!

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wide Open Blue Fin Bite 7 Miles Off Clemente, CA - 7-15-15
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
I forgot to mention the gear. All 4 bft caught on 30 lb p-line, my trini 20 and Calstar scs 12-30 rod. Fluorocarbon is a must have....I used 30 lb Seaguar blue label. I typically use gamakatsu bait hooks ranging from size 4 to 6 depending on the baits size. All sardines were "ass pinned" for a deeper presentation...cuz you know there are some 150-200 lbers down there!

Hope this helps. Ben