Author Topic: Big Halibut from the Ski's  (Read 302 times)

Offline PNWskifishing

• View Profile
    • PNW Jet Ski Fishing
Big Halibut from the Ski's
« on: September 25, 2017, 04:49:04 AM »
My fishing partner and I got on some big halibut over the last couple weeks, his came in at 55lbs, and caught us off guard since we weren't specifically targeting them, I came back a week later on a solo run to see if anymore were in the area and hauled up a 65lb'er.  We may have found a new honey hole!  both these were caught on fairly light gear for halibut - the set-ups we normally run for rockfish and ling cod.  shot the 55lb fish with my phone (all i had with me), and the 65lb with the gopro, don't know enough about video resolution editing to make it look right, but here here's the YouTube vid of the two:

2015 Kawasaki Ultra LX
https://www.pnwjetskifishing.com

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Re: Big Halibut from the Ski's
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 03:22:14 PM »
WOW!!!

Gargantuan flatties. How deep were you and what did you hook these behemoths with?

Again.....WOW!!!

Ben ??? ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:12:19 PM by Opah147 »

Offline PNWskifishing

• View Profile
    • PNW Jet Ski Fishing
Re: Big Halibut from the Ski's
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »
both these we caught in roughly 150' of water.  the 1st my buddy caught when we were bottom fishing and it hit a plastic swim-bait with some herring scent on it, we were pretty surprised to see it...so the next week i came back solo and fished the area with a plastic squid with mackerel tied to it for some real oily scent.  much bigger than these and getting them on board would get pretty sketchy - and we both got lucky with knocking them out with the gaff/harpoon and neither of us dealt with much thrashing...mine was KO'd right from the get go and never thrashed once.
2015 Kawasaki Ultra LX
https://www.pnwjetskifishing.com