Author Topic: Yellowtails off San Clemente Paddies & Humpback Whale Encounter - 7-18-2015  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Hi All!

Spirits and prospects were high after bagging 4 nice blue fin tuna a few days prior. Dana Point landing was hopping this Saturday morning when I ran into my buddy, Jack, who already had his boat on the water by 5 AM. The boat line for bait was 45 minutes....a record in my book.

The forecast called for 5 to10 knot winds with intermittent lightning & thunder showers and this time the weather man was spot on. Lightning on the ocean is quite a sight. With 2 to 3 foot NW swells and 74 water temp, I headed 7 miles south west on at fast troll with a cedar plug & feather looking for birds and dolphins. Lots of humpbacks were out this morning...on one drift, a humpback cruised straight for me then at 15 yards submerged directly under ski. I was able get gopro shot, but only a mild silhouette top view of her due to low lighting...very cool! Not sure if I wanted to post but here's the pic...hope you can make it out.

Lots of action this morning. I landed a 18 and 20 lbs yellowtail on my first paddy. But as the morning faded, so did my bait & fuel cutting my trip short...plus the lightning & rain made my decision easier.   Both yellows were caught on big sardines, 30 lb P-line, my Trini 20 & Calstar scs 12-30 stick and weighed by the DFG.

No tuna on the ski this time. The humorous thing was I seriously considering throwing back these yellowtails to make room for the all the copious BFT and YFT was supposed to catch ;) Ben

(video & more pics to come)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:12:07 PM by Opah147 »

Andrew Davey

Hi. I have just arrived in from South Afirica and have been jet ski fishing for the last 15 years. I have just rigged up my ski and ready fish. Where do you guys fish out of? And is it possible to hook up and get some local advice?

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Hey Andrew. Welcome to the bloody jet skis forum!

Dana Point Landing is my main spot. I fish the 14 mile bank, 267 FB, the Domes, and as far south to Oceanside depending on the fish count and water temp (you can get all this info from the main menu page). We should definitely hook up in the future. I pretty much drop what I'm doing when the bite is hot to fish the week day or end. Not so much at the moment...the wahoo may still be around though. Please post for your future trips and I or I'm sure someone will hook up with you. Good luck, Pal and see you on the water. Ben

By the way, some rig pics & catches from South Africa would be appreciated  :D :D