Author Topic: Oregon Albacore there here!  (Read 305 times)

Offline PNWskifishing

• View Profile
    • PNW Jet Ski Fishing
Oregon Albacore there here!
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:51:05 AM »
went for the maiden tuna voyage this last Friday.  most boats reported slow fishing, with bites scattered while on troll, not much of a different story for me.  30 minutes into trolling 25 miles off shore of Depoe Bay i had a double, lost em both  :-[.  took several hours of working the area over before the next bite, and pulled in a peanut.  didn't go home skunked, so was happy about that.  my fishing partner ended up having engine failure about 20 miles out toward the end of the day...was a long tow back at 10-13mph.  One of the things i noticed was fuel burn while in a tow is crazy high.  it took just about 12 gallons to finish the tow of 20 miles.  be mindful of fuel levels and keep enough for towing available as well.  here's a video of some of the action:

2015 Kawasaki Ultra LX
https://www.pnwjetskifishing.com

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Re: Oregon Albacore there here!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Sweet video, Spencer!

Nice job on the albies...I bet it was fun on light gear. Looked like conditions were calm too. You may wanna consider a fast troll with some feathers &/or cedar plugs  ;) ;) ;). Sorry to hear about your buddy's ski but the important thing is that you all made it back.

On another note, years ago my brother on a multi-day trip, bagged a couple hundred pounds of yellow fin, blue fin, and albacore....all quality fish. After a series of taste test, albacore was the best sashimi/sushi tuna.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy, pal!

Ben  :) :) :)

Offline PNWskifishing

• View Profile
    • PNW Jet Ski Fishing
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:37:20 AM »
cheers!

I do love them albies.  I've been meaning to add a few clones to the spread, and got one rod rigged up with a jig that i can drop if it looks right (but i suck at jig fishing).
2015 Kawasaki Ultra LX
https://www.pnwjetskifishing.com

Offline Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »
Good stuff!
Jester
San Clemente, Ca.