Author Topic: New Regs - April opener and 3 ling limit  (Read 2260 times)

Offline BigDaddyHouseboater

• View Profile
New Regs - April opener and 3 ling limit
« on: March 13, 2015, 12:10:48 PM »
New Regs - Ling bag limit is now 3, and the central opener is April 1. My ski is ready and raging to go.

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Re: New Regs - April opener and 3 ling limit
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
Nice! Lings make great tacos. One of the best soups l've had too...tried it at San Quintin, Mx at Don Eddies' a couple years back...bruiser lings all day! Thanks for the intel. See you out on the water! Ben

Offline 7seasand7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Rev Ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:52:50 PM »
What is the size limit on them there in Cali?  And is what y'all are calling Ling called Cobia elsewhere?  Or something altogether different?

Here in Texas Cobia are called "Ling."  2 per day, Minimum length 37" with no maximum length.   
Also known as Lemonfish they are mighty good eatin' and great fun to have pullin' on yer line. DO NOT bring one on the ski green...DAMHIK IJK

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »
What is the size limit on them there in Cali?  And is what y'all are calling Ling called Cobia elsewhere?  Or something altogether different?

Here in Texas Cobia are called "Ling."  2 per day, Minimum length 37" with no maximum length.   
Also known as Lemonfish they are mighty good eatin' and great fun to have pullin' on yer line. DO NOT bring one on the ski green...DAMHIK IJK
Hey Rev!
Yeah, we call Lingcods, "lings", for short here...completely different from the cobia. They're bottom dwellers & are quite delicious...very buttery. The big ones pull hard...just watch out for their teeth and rearing spiney gills. They get pretty big down in mx (medium one shown in attached pic). Different color shades too...green, yellow, brown to dark brown almost black.

Here's the regs for California:

Lingcod
The recreational fishery for lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) is open year-round to divers 2 and shore-based anglers. The fishery is open to boat-based anglers from March 1, through December 31. Lingcod may only be taken or possessed 3 in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 3 fish, with a minimum size limit of 22 inches total length.

Hope this helps. Ben

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 07:06:42 PM »
New Regs - Ling bag limit is now 3, and the central opener is April 1. My ski is ready and raging to go.

Hey BDH! Is the central opener a tournament? Please provide details, if you don't mind. Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »

Hey BDH! Is the central opener a tournament? Please provide details, if you don't mind. Ben

I don't think so. Right now, it's just me.. lol. Sent you an email if you feel like meeting up at the Morro Bay launch ramp Friday morning.

My buddy Ross may put a kayak in at Spooners and hook on for a tow out to my "secret spot".
Check your email for my contact info.

Dale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 07:59:58 AM »
And FYI Ben,
Central regs season is not March 1. It's usually May 1, but changed to April 1 this year with a 3-ling limit.

There's an updated addendum.

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »

Hey Dale!

Thanks for the invite but it's a tad out of my range (at least for now). I'll get the word out to others...Some pics of your rig, catches, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pal.

Ben