Author Topic: Fat Tuna Close to Shore - July 1, 2015  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Fat Tuna Close to Shore - July 1, 2015
« on: July 01, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »
Hey All! The tuna are here....and they're fat!

I was gearing up my ski at DP landing last Saturday when I ran in to my buddy Steve. He had just picked up a beautiful 28" Grady White which he just installed a new bait tank. He graciously invited me along on his maiden voyage...I agreed. We, with John and Garret, baited up with sardines and headed towards the 267. Mixed swells were coming from the northwest with some heavy chop & water temp in the high 60s. With overcast morning skies, we trolled dark deep divers and feathers looking for paddies, birds and temperature breaks....but nothing for majority of the am. We turned south for warmer waters which we found (68.2) followed with sporadic paddies which we hit every lid we could find. Still Nada. Gale winds started to kicking up with rain and "the washing machine was on full" according to John. We started heading back to DP.

On the way in, we decided to roll up on a school of frisky dolphins with diving birds then BANG....FISH ON! I'm hooked on a big un bee lining towards Catalina. I ain't gonna lie...this fish HURT ME GOOD! It took 45 mins to land this 80 lber. I caught this cow with a sardine on the dolphin slide with 30 lb p-line, Calstar scs 12-30 stick and my trini 20. One bite...one fish.

Hey Steve, John, and Garret...let me know how the sashimi was! It was the best I've ever had  :D

Ben
(more pics and video to come)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:34:15 AM by Shmoopdawg »

Offline john@getsomesports

• View Profile
Re: Fat Blue Fins Close to Shore - July 1, 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »
Great time.  The BFT was awesome,  the belly was great and I ate most of it raw then seared the rest in ginger soy ahi sauce...awsome.  Steve wants to go back out sat if interested.  Give me a hole at 326-3418. GETSOME                           
JOHN

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Re: Fat Blue Fins Close to Shore - July 1, 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
Hey John. Yes, great time. Give me a halla! Fyi....I was out yesterday on my ski in the same area. Ton's of dolphin, birds, whales & paddies....water temp 71 and some spots 74, but no biters. The bait's smaller and sluggish probably due to the warner water temp. I'm down. Ben
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:05:29 AM by Opah147 »