Author Topic: Yellowtails still thick at the Box - Feb 11, 2015  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Opah147

• Global Moderator
  • "we're gonna need a bigger ski"
    • View Profile
Yellowtails still thick at the Box - Feb 11, 2015
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »
Howdy All!  Yellowtail counts spiked again the past few days so I decide to break away from the daily grind to work the Box Canyon today. Calm warm waters, 64, with a slight breeze made the round trip smooth cruising (average 45 mph, 20 mins each way). Lots of PB this morning and the usual CBs working the spot with nice sonar marks. The early morning was a bit slow but then, Bang! I’m hooked on a decent yellowtail only to be served to a fat alpha seal’s brunch (strike 1!). Drat! It must be early Valentine's for seals because they're everywhere, in pairs! My next stop was on a thick mark of yellowtails which a “particular” CB rolled up & hosed my spot. No problem....it was a wide open bite and I was able to land a descent 22 lber. I immediately threw another iron and was hooked up another fish on a deep drop but taken to the rocks...eventually I had to break it off (strike 2!). My buddy Ruben was on this “particular” CB and we had a nice shout out.

The yellows are getting shallower…most were around 75 to 100 ft and taking the iron on the drop. Very aggressive strikes. All were hooked with a scrambled egg or blue/white sumo 4 iron, 30 pound p-line trini 30, & Calstar graffighter. What should have been 3 was one 22 lb yellowtail, but I ain’t complaining…another epic bite for the books!

See you on the waters soon :D Ben

Btw, this yellowtail was especially delicious...very sweet sashimi & sushi.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:56:17 PM by Opahgangnamstyle »